Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Crossing the Finish Line

I still remember it quite clearly. It was noon. The sun was scorching. In the back of my mind, I knew I wasn't ready and that I was scared, but I had to proceed, nevertheless. My body exuded otherwise; I was in my ready-to-start position.

"Ready... Set... Go!" I ran as fast as I could.

My strategy was not at all ideal. My coach always said that I should save my energy for later, yet during that time, I felt that I could maintain my speed. At times, I felt that I should slow down, but I fought hard stubbornly. I kept running. My competitors were far behind me. I was winning...

for the most part, until the last 100 meters of the final round. I ended up landing in the fourth place --- a position low enough not to get a medal.

I almost had it. Victory was only a few meters and seconds away. I had the lead, but ended up to well, nothing.

Looking back, I realized that several times in different instances I have been like this in life: giving everything to achieve something, and when I'm only a few inches away from succeeding, I hold back or give up the last minute. Perhaps I cannot be entirely ready for anything and maybe Fear will always there lingering in the shadows, but this time, I want to be courageous enough to complete well whatever it may be that I have so passionately started and to be deaf to Fear's intimidation.

No comments:

Post a Comment